Lost Cards & Replacements

Lost Cards

Report and deactivate a lost BisonCard immediately by logging into the My Bison One Card website using Howard login credentials. When within the My Bison One Card website, click on Card Services and deactivate your card number(s). You may also contact the BisonCard Office. Howard University Hospital employees should visit Howard University Hospital’s Human Resources department to report or return lost cards or activate replacement cards.

If your card is found, return the card to the Bison One Card Office. If you would like to reactivate your card, you must visit the Bison One Card Office. You cannot reactivate a card via the My Bison One Card portal.

Replacement Cards

A $10 fee is required for replacement and damaged (hole, crack, bent etc.) BisonCards. This fee applies to all replacement cards, including those issued for loss, theft or name change. Payment is due before receiving the replacement card.  Cash payment is accepted at the Cashier Office located at 2400 6th St. NW, Suite 115. Bison Bucks payment is accepted at the Bison One Card Office located at 2301 Georgia Ave, NW (Bryant Street Entrance). Replacement cards can be purchased at the Bison One Card office during normal business hours. This fee cannot be applied to a student’s Howard eBill. A USA Government issued photo identification is required for each new card issued.

Temporary ID Card

Temporary ID cards are not available.

Cashiers Office (Cash Accepted)
2400 6th Street NW, Suite 115
Washington, DC 20059

BisonCard Office (Bison Bucks Accepted)
iLab Building, Lobby – Bryant St Entrance
2301 Georgia Ave NW
Washington, DC 20059