Get Your BisonCard

There is no charge for an initial BisonCard for students, faculty and staff; however, there is a $10 replacement fee if a BisonCard is lost or stolen.

Howard students, faculty and staff who previously had a BisonCard issued and are requesting a replacement card must visit the BisonCard office for a replacement photo and card. A valid photo driver’s license, passport or state-issued photo ID is required to receive a BisonCard.

The BisonCard contains a photograph of the individual. Individuals may submit their own photo however, headshots may be taken at the Bison One Card Office.

iLab Building
2301 Georgia Ave NW
Lobby Level
Washington, DC 20059

Phone: 202.806.2109

Monday – Friday
9:00am – 5:00pm
Days and times may vary. Please refer to the Howard University Academic Calendar.

Submit Your Photo Online

Note: We are only issuing BisonCard's for those that are on-campus.  We do not mail BisonCard's.

Howard students, faculty and staff who have never had a BisonCard will need to submit their photo online or may visit the Bison One Card Office to have a photo taken. In order to obtain a card for which the photo was previously submitted online, the individual must come to the Bison One Card Office in person and provide a valid government issued identification.

The key requirement for online photo submission is the photo should clearly identify the cardholder.

Submit Your Photo Online Requirements:

  • Color photos only
  • Center head within frame
  • A natural or neutral expression/smile
  • Must be current (taken within the last 6 months)
  • Frame subject with full face, front view, eyes open
  • Features, including eyes and face, must be clearly visible
  • Background must be solid, smooth, and white, light-colored blue or gray
  • Must be forward-facing, showing the head and top of the shoulders, like a passport photo
  • Position the subject and lighting so that there are no distracting shadows on the face or background

Photos submitted to the Bison One Card Office becomes the property of the University; will be used for official and administrative purposes only and; are not returned.

Review Requirements for Submitting Your Photo

Take Your Photo

Click Here to Submit Your Photo


Bison Card

Expiration Dates 

When your BisonCard is issued, it is issued with an expiration date. If your BisonCard is near or past the expiration date, please visit the Bison One Card Office location to validate your card.


As a student arrives at Howard for the first time, they receive a BisonCard, the official University ID card. The BisonCard will be used daily throughout a student’s time at Howard, including for building access and dining plans thus, it should be maintained by the student and stored in a safe location. There will be a $10 replacement fee for a lost card.

Faculty and Staff

Howard University and Howard University Hospital faculty and staff are eligible for a BisonCard after onboarding paperwork and orientation is completed by Human Resources. Employees may submit their photo online or visit the Bison One Card Office to have a photo taken. Upon receipt of the BisonCard, new faculty/staff will receive access to email, PeopleSoft, and other University systems for required access. There is a $10 replacement fee for a lost or stolen card.

BisonCards are used by one person. If you are taking courses while employed by Howard University, you will receive a BisonCard with the designation of your primary status with the University. In most cases, this primary status is Faculty or Professional Staff and not Student.


Contractors and other University-affiliated personnel who require identification and/or access to University buildings while conducting business on a Howard University campus, may be issued a BisonCard.

Non-Employee includes the following:

  • Contracted employees through a master University contract*
  • Ad-Hoc contractors
  • Non-Employee Affiliates*
    (including temporary employees, visiting faculty, visiting researchers, staff volunteers)
  • Interns and Co-ops

*Contract employees and Non-Employee Affiliates must first be processed by Human Resources before a BisonCard can be issued. To request a BisonCard for Contract and Non-Employee Affiliates, Click Here: (link to .pdf Standard Volunteer Agreement Form).