Trademark Licensing - University & Students
Using the University's Trademarks
All Howard University departments and recognized student groups are required to obtain prior approval to use the University's name, marks, logos, seals or symbols in any commercial or non-commercial uses. Howard departments and student groups are required to purchase emblematic merchandise from officially licensed vendors of the University. Items that will be used internally, such as by members of an office, group or as a giveaways, are exempt from royalties. Items for resale require the vendor to pay royalties to the University on the products. When requesting permission, please fill out the Direct Approval Form/Royalty Waiver for use of the name/logos, please indicate how the product will be used.
The following purposes constitutes commercial use:
- Sales to individual customers
- Sales for fundraising projects
- Sales of items carrying a commercial message, sponsor or endorsement
- Items given at conferences/workshops/clinics that require a registration fee and the price of the item has been included in the fee
The following purposes constitutes non-commercial use:
- Items used by organizers or participants to market and promote various activities.
- Items given at events/conferences/workshops/clinics/etc for door prizes or gifts.